ON THIS DATE (22 YEARS AGO)
May 8, 1990 – Wilson Phillips: Wilson Phillips is released.
# ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ 4/5 (see TWO CENTS WORTH below)
# allmusic 4/5
ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ TWO CENTS WORTH
NOTE: This is a rant/soapbox missive.
So, you grow up around musicians that have garnered legendary status and you put together two sisters (daughters of Brian Wilson) and one best friend (daughter of John and Michelle Phillips) – does the “critic” in you base your expectations on their parents work?
I have read some reviews from calling it “too sugary” to outright personal attacks? There are some very good critics out there but I believe that some will be as derogatory and cynical as they can be, which makes me wonder if they listened to and/or did their homework. Sometimes I wonder if some “critics” jump on a negative (and positive) bandwagon to give them street cred…
Anyway, if you are a headbanger stay away (duh). If you are a big fan of the bloodlines listen to it and appreciate it for what it is.
Wilson Phillips is an American vocal group consisting of Carnie Wilson, Wendy Wilson, and Chynna Phillips. Wilson Phillips is the debut album by Wilson Phillips, released on this date in May, 1990.
Their 1990 self-titled debut album sold over 10 million copies worldwide and scored three number one singles on the Billboard Hot 100, making the trio the best-selling female group at the time. In 1990, the group won the Billboard Music Award for Hot 100 Single of the Year for “Hold On,” and in addition was nominated for four Grammy Awards and two American Music Awards.
LIST OF AWARDS AND HONORS
- Grammy Award Nomination for Song of the Year (Hold On)
- Grammy Award Nomination for Album of the Year (Wilson Phillips)
- Grammy Award Nomination for Best New Artist (Wilson Phillips)
- American Music Award Nomination for Favorite Pop/Rock Single (Hold On)
- 19th Tokyo Music Festival Grand Prize (for their performance of “Hold On”)
- NARM award for Best Selling Album by a Group for “Wilson Phillips”
- American Music Award Nomination for Favorite Pop/Rock Artist
- Billboard Music Award Winner for Hot 100 Number One Pop Single of the Year (Hold On)
- Grammy Award Nomination for Best Pop Vocal Performance by a duo or a group (You’re In Love)
see ALL THINGS MUSIC PLUS+ TWO CENTS WORTH above
“Hold On” (Chynna Phillips, Glen Ballard, Additional Lyrics by Carnie Wilson) – 4:27
“Release Me” (Wilson Phillips) – 4:56
“Impulsive” (Stephen Kipner, Clif Magness) – 4:34
“Next to You (Someday I’ll Be)” (Darrell Brown, David Batteau, Madeline Stone) – 4:57
“You’re in Love” (Wilson Phillips, Glen Ballard) – 4:51
“Over and Over” (Wilson Phillips, Glen Ballard) – 4:40
“A Reason to Believe” (Tim Hardin) – 4:04
“Ooh You’re Gold” (Wilson Phillips, Glen Ballard) – 4:19
“Eyes Like Twins” (Rupert Hine, Jeanette Therese Obstoj) – 5:03
“The Dream Is Still Alive” (Glen Ballard, Wilson Phillips) – 4:05